We all have that one little healthy eating trick that we like to share around with friends and family. Besides having a daily glass of lemon water, I try to have at least one raw vegetable dish a day. Sometimes it’s just a few raw vegetable sticks with a dip but usually I have a big, crunchy salad with a fabulous dressing and some protein for lunch. I love the freshness and textures of raw veggies and don’t even get me started on all the nutritional benefits of live enzymes and antioxidants.
This salad is actually very simple with only two key ingredients but it’s the dressing that brings it to live. The sweetness of carrot and beetroot is elevated by the earthy walnuts and citrus in the dressing and the saltiness of goat’s cheese. It’s a great dish for those nights when you feel like having a break from meat and I really love it for lunch.
What’s good about this dish
Carrots are a great source of the antioxidant beta-carotene which is beneficial for the skin as it is anti-inflammatory and assists with healing mucus membranes. According to traditional Chinese medicine, carrot is said to be a neutral thermal nature and benefits the lungs; improves liver function and stimulates the elimination of wastes.
Beetroots are full of all sorts of goodness, but are richest in iron, potassium, niacin (vitamin B3) and vitamin C. They can assist in improving circulation, purify the blood and help to benefit the liver.
Walnuts are a good source of magnesium, manganese and good fats. What should be taken into consideration though, is that they are relatively high in omega-6 compared to omega-3 and therefore should be consumed with an omega-3 rich diet. It should also be noted that people suffering with cold sores (Herpes simplex virus-1 HSV-1) should avoid the consumption of walnuts due to their high arginine to lysine ration which can trigger an outbreak. Walnuts can be replaced with hazelnuts, almonds or macadamia nuts.
Rich in: Manganese, Vitamin A, Folate, Copper, Vitamin E
This is the spiralizer that I use. I ordered it from Amazon US and as it doesn’t use electricity, there was no issue with voltage conversion.
- For the salad
- 2 medium raw beets (I used pink and red)
- 1 medium carrot
- 4-5 slices of goat’s cheese or shaved Pecorino cheese
- For the dressing
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 small garlic clove, finely diced or grated
- ½ tsp maple syrup or raw honey
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Pinch of pepper
- Peel and slice beetroots and carrots very thinly or use a spiralizer to make noodles strips.
- Place dressing ingredients in a food processor, blender or a mortar and pestle and grind until fairly smooth. It’s ok to have a few crunchy bits in there.
- Toss beetroot and carrot noodles with 2-3 tablespoons of the dressing (more if you like) and top with goat’s cheese.