Pulled pork has to be one of our favourite recipes to make in a slow cooker. Pork lands itself beautifully to the slow cooking method, allowing the fatty parts to melt away into the sauce, while enriching the broth with a meaty, hearty flavour. There are many variations to a crock pot pulled pork but we hope you try our Mexican version – it’s easy, affordable and full of awesome.
Rich and meaty pulled pork goes superbly well with pickled onions. They add a little zest, acidity and sweetness, and some crunch of course. You can serve this dish as is with some extra vegetables, rice, or quinoa or wrapped in some gluten free tortillas.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 700 grams/1.5lb (I used 4 pork shoulder/collar steaks), diced roughly
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro/coriander stalks, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- ¼ lime, juice
- Fresh cilantro/coriander and spring onion for garnish
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- generous pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon brown rice syrup or honey
- Place the slow cooker element on the stove and heat over medium-high heat. Add the onion and olive oil and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Add the pork, garlic, and cilantro (coriander) and cook with the onions for a minute or two. Add the spices, salt and stir through. Finally add the water and lime juice and bring to boil.
- Transfer the element back into the slow cooker base, cover with a lid and cook for 3 hours on HIGH or 5 hours on MEDIUM setting.
- After 3 or 5 hours of cooking, transfer the pork and the juices to a large frying pan and pull the meat apart with a fork. Place on the stove and cook over high heat for 13-15 minutes, stirring a few times, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- While the pork is cooking, prepare the pickled onions. Combine the sliced onions with vinegar, olive oil, salt and your preferred sweetener and set aside to marinate.Leave to pickle for 15 minutes.
- Serve pulled pork with a side of guacamole, chopped tomatoes and pickled onions. Scatter a few onions and fresh cilantro (coriander) over the pork.
- Stove top method: Do the first two steps the same way but in a heavy saucepan. Once everything has come to boil, turn the heat down to simmering, cover with a lid and cook for 2.5 hours. Then uncover, pull the pork meat apart with a fork and turn the heat back to high. Bring to boil and cook for a further 15-20 minutes uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Join the conversation
Do you have a favourite way to cook pork in slow cooker? Tell us below.
ps. If you love this recipe, please share with your friends and fans. I’m sure they will love it too.