Forget about greasy fish and chips and stodgy frozen fish fingers. There are so many other easy and exciting white fish recipes to try. This recipe for fish fingers from Irena’s book Eat Drink Paleo Cookbook is just one example. Nutrient dense and full of flavour, this dish will delight both grown ups and kiddies.
What’s good about it: White fish is full of healthy fats and protein as well as phosphorus required for assisting with growth and repair of cells and tissues, healthy kidney function and nerve signalling. It’s also a good source of selenium, which prevents skin damage and is critical for thyroid health. Macadamia nuts are full of healthy fats and anti-aging vitamin E. The slaw salad is a rainbow we always talk about – full of essential vitamins, antioxidants and fibre. Tarragon contains many health promoting essential oils and minerals.
Rich in: Vitamin A, Vitamin B-6, Vitamin C, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Selenium, Thiamin, Riboflavin
- [i]For the fish fingers[/i]
- 500g (1.1 lb.) white fish fillets such as ling
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 2 garlic cloves, diced roughly
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped parsley 2 tbsp virgin olive oil
- Pinch of black pepper lemon wedges to serve
- [i]For the coleslaw[/i]
- 1/4 red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 10–15 fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F). Slice fish fillets into 1–2cm (1/2 in.) wide strips, sprinkle with a little salt and set aside.
- Combine all other ingredients for the fish and process into a fine crumbly mixture using a food processor or blender. Coat each fish slice in a layer of crumb mixture, using your fingers to press mixture on to the fish.
- Grease a baking tray with some coconut or virgin olive oil and place a piece of baking paper on top. Place crumbed fish fillets on top, leaving some space in between. Bake for 12 minutes or until the crumbed mixture turns golden brown and crisp.
- Meanwhile, combine all coleslaw ingredients with mayonnaise, olive oil, white vinegar and seasoning in a bowl. Serve with fish fingers.