We love to start the day with a nutrient dense, filling and tasty meal and our eggs, kale and smoked mackerel recipe is exactly that. It is high in almost all essential nutrients so you’ll be giving your body the perfect fuel for the day. The best thing – it only takes 15 minutes!
What’s good about it
Protein – check; healthy fats including anti-inflammatory Omega-3’s – check; fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K – check; B vitamins – check; calcium, iron, selenium and other minerals – check, check and check! It’s a nutritional powerhouse, really.
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 100 grams kale, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 100 gram fillet of smoked mackerel
- 1 tablespoon whole egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoons canned capers, rinsed and chopped
- 1 small gherkin/dill pickle, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- sea salt
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil and carefully submerge the eggs. Cook for 6 minutes for runny yolks but firm whites.
- While the eggs are cooking in boiling water, chop the kale. Add to the boiling water with the eggs in the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- Strain the eggs and kale through a sieve. Remove the eggs, rinse under cold water, then peel and cut in half. Strain as much liquid from the kale as possible and then place it on a plate.
- Top the kale with the mackerel fillet and halved eggs, scatter the spring onion.
- Finally, combine the mayo with olive oil, lemon juice, chopped capers and gherkins. Scoop a couple of teaspoons over the mackerel. Sprinkle the eggs with a little sea salt.