Fennel is fantastic in salads, especially when paired up with sweet apple and sharp cheese like Parmesan. I opted for some prawns as my protein choice but grilled chicken or fish would work well too. It’s light but satiating and very nourishing, and the best thing is it only takes 15 minutes to make.
What’s good about it: This salad contains lots of powerful anti-aging and immune supporting nutrients, which we talks about a lot in our Rejuvenate program. It’s a perfect meal to include in your weekly meal plan. It’s high in B group vitamins and vitamin C. It comes with lots of fibre, which helps with weight loss and is important for a healthy heart. Prawns are an excellent protein choice with high amounts of magnesium, which plays a role in bone development and nerve and muscle function (plus it helps you sleep better); zinc, which supports immune function; and selenium, one of our favourite antioxidants. Parmesan is a good source of beneficial probiotics and vitamin K2, which is important to your heart, brain and bones.
- 400 grams cooked, peeled prawns
- 1 medium fennel, shaved or thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, shaved or thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, shaved or thinly sliced
- 1 medium green apple, quartered, seeds out and thinly sliced
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup crispy fried shallots (found in Asian grocers), optional
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey or brown rice syrup
- generous pinch sea salt
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and divide between plates. Whisk together the dressing and drizzle over the top. Sprinkle fried onions or some seeds or nuts